Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Ray LaHood Book Signing


I had the pleasure of attending former Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood's book signing for his memoir, Seeking Bipartisanship: My Life in Politics, held at Bloomberg in Washington, D.C. on November 4, 2015. Having served under Secretary LaHood at the U.S. DOT from 2009-2011, I was happy to see the former Secretary as well as many wonderful members of the DOT team. Having read the book on my trip back west the following evening, I was particularly struck by the section describing LaHood's work in Congress on civility. I knew that he had spoken about the importance of civility in politics but did not know about the broader initiatives he had led. I admire Ray LaHood immensely - he is a true leader, who treats people well in all environments and situations. The civility portion of the book particularly resonated with me, having also strived to improve communication, collaboration and integrity in my work. It was an honor to serve under Ray LaHood and work with the amazing DOT team, and reading this memoir further cemented my respect, admiration and appreciation for this great leader.